Basilar Thumb Arthritis
At Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa, we understand the impact of Basilar Thumb Arthritis on your hand’s function and comfort. This comprehensive guide provides essential information about this condition, including its causes, symptoms, precise diagnosis, effective treatment, and crucial prevention strategies.
Understanding Basilar Thumb Arthritis:
Basilar Thumb Arthritis, also known as carpometacarpal (CMC) joint arthritis, is a degenerative joint disease that affects the base of the thumb. This condition causes pain, limited mobility, and decreased thumb function.
Causes of Basilar Thumb Arthritis:
Basilar Thumb Arthritis can be caused by various factors, including:
- Wear and Tear: Ongoing stress and strain on the thumb joint over time.
- Genetics: A family history of arthritis can increase the risk.
- Overuse: Repetitive hand movements or activities that stress the thumb joint.
- Injury: Previous thumb injuries can contribute to arthritis.
Recognizing the symptoms of Basilar Thumb Arthritis is crucial for timely intervention. Patients may experience:
- Pain: Discomfort and stiffness at the base of the thumb.
- Swelling: Inflammation and swelling around the thumb joint.
- Reduced Grip Strength: Difficulty in holding or grasping objects.
- Limited Range of Motion: Difficulty in moving the thumb joint.
- Thumb Deformity: In severe cases, the thumb joint may become misshapen.
Accurate diagnosis is essential for creating an effective treatment plan. Our experienced specialists employ a combination of methods, including physical examinations, medical history review, and imaging (X-rays, MRI, or CT scans). This helps us determine the extent of the arthritis and the best approach for management.
Advanced Treatment Options:
Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa offers advanced treatment strategies for Basilar Thumb Arthritis:
- Non-Surgical Approaches: Conservative methods include thumb splints, physical therapy, pain relief medications, and joint protection techniques.
- Injections: Corticosteroid injections can provide relief from pain and inflammation.
- Surgical Intervention: In severe cases, surgical procedures like joint reconstruction or joint replacement may be recommended.
To prevent Basilar Thumb Arthritis, consider the following strategies:
- Hand Ergonomics: Practice good hand ergonomics to reduce thumb joint stress.
- Use Assistive Devices: Use assistive devices or tools for activities that strain the thumb joint.
- Maintain a Healthy Lifestyle: Regular exercise and a balanced diet can support joint health.
Your Path to Relief:
Basilar Thumb Arthritis can be challenging, but Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa is dedicated to helping you find relief and prevent future occurrences. Our personalized treatment plans, guided by our expertise, ensure you receive the best care throughout your journey to hand health.
Basilar Thumb Arthritis requires specialized care, and Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa is here to provide comprehensive insights, accurate diagnostics, and customized treatment plans. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward pain relief and injury prevention.