At Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa, we understand the impact of Impingement Syndrome on your shoulder’s comfort and mobility. This comprehensive guide provides essential information about this condition, including its causes, symptoms, precise diagnosis, and effective treatment.
Understanding Impingement Syndrome:
Impingement Syndrome is a common shoulder condition characterized by the compression or impingement of tendons and soft tissues within the shoulder joint. This can result in pain, limited range of motion, and discomfort.
Causes of Impingement Syndrome:
Impingement Syndrome can be caused by various factors, including:
- Overuse: Repetitive overhead arm movements that stress the shoulder joint.
- Anatomy: Certain anatomical factors that narrow the space within the shoulder joint.
- Muscle Weakness: Weakness or imbalances in the muscles supporting the shoulder.
- Age: The risk of impingement increases with age.
- Bone Spurs: The presence of bone spurs within the joint.
Recognizing the symptoms of Impingement Syndrome is crucial for timely intervention. Patients may experience:
- Shoulder Pain: Discomfort in the front or side of the shoulder.
- Pain with Arm Movements: Pain worsens with overhead or reaching movements.
- Weakness: Reduced strength in the affected shoulder.
- Limited Range of Motion: Difficulty in raising the arm or rotating it.
- Swelling and Inflammation: Soft tissue irritation and swelling in the shoulder.
Accurate diagnosis is essential for creating an effective treatment plan. Our experienced specialists employ a combination of methods, including physical examinations, medical history review, and imaging (X-rays, MRI, or ultrasound). This helps us determine the extent of impingement and the best approach for management.
Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa offers various treatment options for Impingement Syndrome:
- Non-Surgical Approaches: Conservative methods include rest, physical therapy, anti-inflammatory medications, and modified activities.
- Corticosteroid Injections: These can provide temporary relief from pain and inflammation.
- Surgical Intervention: In cases of severe or persistent impingement, surgical procedures may be considered to remove bone spurs or create more space within the shoulder joint.
Your Path to Relief:
Impingement Syndrome can be challenging, but Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa is dedicated to helping you find relief. Our personalized treatment plans, guided by our expertise, ensure you receive the best care throughout your journey to shoulder health.
Impingement Syndrome requires specialized care, and Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa is here to provide comprehensive insights, accurate diagnostics, and customized treatment plans. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward pain relief and improved shoulder function.