Patella Tendon Tear
At Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa, we understand the challenges associated with Patella Tendon Ruptures. This comprehensive guide provides essential information about this condition, including its causes, symptoms, precise diagnosis, and effective treatment.
Understanding Patella Tendon Ruptures:
A Patella Tendon Rupture is a severe injury that involves the tearing or complete rupture of the tendon that connects the patella (kneecap) to the tibia (shinbone). This injury can lead to significant pain, knee instability, and difficulty with mobility.
Causes of Patella Tendon Ruptures:
Patella Tendon Ruptures can be caused by various factors, including:
- Sudden Force: A direct blow or impact to the knee, often due to falls or accidents.
- Overuse: Chronic overuse or stress on the patella tendon, commonly seen in athletes.
- Tendon Weakening: Tendon degeneration due to aging or medical conditions like tendinitis.
- Steroid Injections: The repeated use of corticosteroid injections in the knee.
- Underlying Medical Conditions: Certain medical conditions, such as rheumatoid arthritis, that affect the tendons.
Recognizing the symptoms of Patella Tendon Ruptures is crucial for timely intervention. Patients may experience:
- Sudden Severe Pain: Acute, intense pain in the knee, often with a popping sensation at the time of injury.
- Swelling: Inflammation and swelling around the knee and kneecap.
- Inability to Straighten the Leg: Difficulty extending the knee, resulting in a bent-knee position.
- Kneecap Displacement: The kneecap may move out of its normal position.
- Weakness and Instability: A feeling of weakness and instability in the affected knee.
Accurate diagnosis is essential for creating an effective treatment plan. Our experienced specialists employ a combination of methods, including physical examinations, medical history review, and imaging (MRI or ultrasound). This helps us assess the extent of the tendon rupture and the best approach for management.
Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa offers various treatment options for Patella Tendon Ruptures:
- Surgical Repair: Surgical intervention is typically necessary to reattach and repair the ruptured tendon.
- Immobilization: After surgery, the knee may be immobilized with a brace or cast.
- Physical Therapy: Post-surgery rehabilitation is essential to regain knee strength and mobility.
Your Path to Recovery:
Patella Tendon Ruptures can be challenging, but Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa is dedicated to helping you find relief. Our personalized treatment plans, guided by our expertise, ensure you receive the best care throughout your journey to knee health.
Patella Tendon Ruptures require specialized care, and Premier Orthopedic Specialists of Tulsa is here to provide comprehensive insights, accurate diagnostics, and customized treatment plans. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and take the first step toward pain relief and improved knee function.